Colourful, mouthwatering recipes perfect for your Christmas or New Year festive holiday fare.
Serve up this festive holiday fare to add cheer and colour to your celebrations.
Looking for meal inspiration for special occasions? Click here for our recipes for all occasions.
Easy caprese pastry squares
Cherry tomatoes, basil pesto and melted mozzarella on a base of perfectly golden, flaky puff pastry.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- ½ cup basil pesto
- 1 pack (70 g) Galbani mozzarella
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp water
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry before starting. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with baking paper. Spread out the puff pastry on the tray and score the edge about 2cm from the edge all the way around.
- Spread the basil pesto evenly over the puff pastry. Evenly place the mozzarella, roughly torn apart, over the basil pesto.
- Then add cherry tomatoes sliced in half. Season with Italian seasoning and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Make an egg wash by mixing the whisked egg with the water. Lightly brush over the edges of the puff pastry.
- Bake for 6–8 minutes or until the puff pastry is light golden. Be careful not to let the puff pastry burn.
- Sprinkle with roughly torn fresh basil leaves. Season to taste with more salt and pepper before slicing into squares and serving.
Deliciously refreshing treats, packed with goodness, colour and creativity. Rope in your kids to help you make these!
1 cup each of:
- kiwi fruit, cut into quarters
- orange segments, halved
- cubed pineapple
- clear apple juice
- mango and orange juice
- berry blaze juice
- Chop the blueberries, kiwi fruit quarters, orange segments, cubed pineapple and strawberries into small pieces. Place all the fruit pieces on a tray and freeze. Keep each type of fruit separate on the tray.
- Place the frozen blueberries into a blender together with half of the clear apple juice. Blend until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the bottom of each hole in the popsicle mould and freeze until set. You will need about 8 moulds.
- Blend the frozen kiwi fruit pieces with the remaining clear apple juice, layer the mixture over the first layer and return to the freezer to set.
- Blend the frozen orange segments with half of the mango and orange juice. Spoon the mixture into the moulds as the third layer.
- Blend the frozen pineapple with the remaining mango and orange juice. Spoon the mixture into the moulds as the fourth layer.
- Blend the frozen strawberries with the berry blaze juice and spoon the mixture into the mould as the fifth and last layer.
- Freeze until all layers have set and serve.
Recipes from Foodies of South Africa – the most viral recipes ever! By Chantal Botha, Hayley Murison, and Julie Brown (Jonathan Ball Publishers, R340).