These easy-to-make foolproof cake recipes for delicious chocolate cake and scrumptious cupcakes will have your family asking for more.
Use these cake recipes to spoil your family with some tasty sweet treats.
Mika’s Favourite Chocolate Cake
- 1½ cups unsifted flour
- 1 cup ordinary sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients, make a well in centre. Then add all the liquids and stir till blended, do not over mix.
- Prepare round spring form tin with Spray ’n Cook or butter and flour it.
- Pour batter in the tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Prick with toothpick in the centre to see if baked.
- If done, place the tin on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then remove side ring, turn over and gently lift off the base. When cool sprinkle with icing sugar or ice with chocolate icing.
Icing for chocolate cake: Melt together equal amount of dark chocolate and butter (for example, 100g dark chocolate and 100g butter). Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Spread on cake when cooled.
Cupcakes (makes approximately 48 cupcakes)
- 125g butter/margarine
- 375ml (1½ cups) sugar
- 5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 625ml (2½ cups) cake flour
- 20ml (4tsp) baking powder
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
- 200ml (4/5 cups) milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Put all paper sleeves for cupcakes in the patty pans.
- Beat the butter with a wooden spoon, gradually adding sugar. Beat until light and creamy and add the vanilla essence.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt, then sift into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Beat the mixture until all the ingredients are well blended and the mixture has a velvety appearance. Beat together then stir.
- Spoon the batter into the paper moulds. Bake for 15 minutes or until just slightly golden colour. Do not open the oven after putting cakes into oven. Cool on wire rack and decorate with icing and sprinkle chocolate, vermicelli, silver balls, etc.