This nutty seeded whole-wheat rusk recipe is taken from Heavenly & Healthy Foods – Brookdale’s 21 Days to a Healthy Lifestyle. The book is filled with over 100 tasty and nutritious recipes, plus beautiful photos, tips and suggestions. In addition, there’s a three-week meal plan for a healthy lifestyle.
Nutty Seeded Whole-Wheat Rusks
Makes 48 rusks
2 extra-large eggs
320ml low fat maas or buttermilk
30ml olive oil
5ml vanilla extract
2 small apples, grated
125ml (1/2 cup) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup (125ml) almonds, roughly chopped
250ml (1 cup) cake flour
1 cup (250ml) oat bran
250ml whole-wheat flour or nutty wheat flour
30ml baking powder
5ml each of sesame seeds, poppy seeds and linseeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, maas or buttermilk, oil and vanilla together.
- Then add the grated apple and chopped nuts to the egg mixture.
- Mix the dry ingredients – flour, bran, whole-wheat flour nutty wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar – into the wet ingredients, making sure they combine well.
- Next, spoon the mixture into two lightly greased 10 x 20cm loaf tins, then sprinkle mixed seeds on top.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Take the loaves out of the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
- Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Cut the loaf into 24 rusks (three rows of eight) using a bread knife.
- Place the rusks on a baking tray in the oven at 100°C for two to three hours, until they have dried out.
- Store in an airtight container once cool.
These recipes are taken from Heavenly & Healthy Foods – Brookdale’s 21 Days to a Healthy Lifestyle, published by Brookdale Health Hydro. This book is filled with over 100 tasty and nutritious recipes, beautiful photos, tips, suggestions and a three-week meal plan for a healthy lifestyle. You can buy it online at brookdale.co.za
Brookdale Health Hydro