Lentil stew with Swiss chard and coriander pesto.
Inspired by Disney’s locally produced live action show Disney’s Cookabout – here is an oh-so delicious lentil stew recipe that was featured on the recent season of the show. The cooking show sees kids learn where our food comes from, visiting farms around the country before heading back to the kitchen to learn to cook with the ingredients.
Find more hearty winter meal recipes here.
Lentil Stew with Swiss chard and coriander pesto
Ingredients Lentil stew
- 125g red lentils, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5ml grated ginger
- pinch chili flakes (add to taste)
- 2.5ml ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) ground coriander
- 2.5ml smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch allspice
- 30ml tomato paste
- 200ml chopped tomato
- 375ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 250ml chopped swiss chard
- 60ml crispy onion flakes for serving
- salt and pepper for seasoning
Ingredients Coriander pesto
- 200ml coriander leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed 20g
- toasted cashew nuts
- 60ml olive oil
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
Method Lentil stew
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Cook for two minutes while stirring, then add all the spices (chili, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon stick and allspice).
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the soaked, drained lentils, tomato paste, chopped tomato and the stock and simmer (cook on low heat with lid on saucepan) for about 20 minutes until the lentils are soft and the sauce thick.
- Add a bit more liquid if necessary. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Mix in the chopped swiss chard and cook until it has wilted.
- Serve with the pesto and the crispy onion with brown basmati rice.
Method coriander pesto
Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
Recipes: Christine Capendale
Images: Anita Reed/Disney Channels