Try these recipes from Heavenly & Healthy Foods to make wholesome and hearty winter meals to keep you warm on a chilly day.
These delicious winter meals are easy to make and will keep you warm and energised.
Pink Lentil & Parsley Soup
- 500g red lentils
- 1 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
- 15ml crushed garlic
- 15ml crushed ginger
- 5 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 500ml skim milk
- 12ml parsley, chopped
- herb salt and pepper to taste
- drizzle of low-fat yoghurt and chopped parsley to garnish
- Cook lentils in the stock until they are just soft.
- Sauté the onions, celery, garlic and ginger.
- Add carrots, bay leaves and milk and allow this to cook.
- Add the cooked lentils with the parsley, salt and pepper.
- Blend together. If it’s too thick, add a little more liquid.
- Serve with a drizzle of yoghurt or cottage cheese and fresh chopped parsley.
Vegetable & Barley Soup
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 250ml pearl barley (wash first)
- 1,25 litres vegetable stock
- fresh sprig of thyme
- Italian parsley, chopped
- herb salt and ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until they are translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, tomato, barley, vegetable stock and chopped herbs.
- Stir together and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for one to two hours until the barley is cooked or soft.
- Add your seasoning.
- You may need to add a little more stock as the barley will absorb a lot of the liquid.
- Serve hot, with a drizzle of Italian parsley pesto.
Roast Beetroot and Butternut Salad With Fresh Rocket & Toasted Cashews
- 400g beetroot, washed and cut into wedges
- 400g butternut, cut into large cubes
- 60ml olive oil
- herb salt and ground black pepper
- 100g rocket leaves
- 50g cashew nuts, toasted
- Toss the butternut in a little olive oil, salt and ground black pepper on a roasting tray and roast at 180°C for 30 minutes until cooked.
- Repeat with the beetroot on a separate roasting tray. This may need more roasting time. Allow to cool.
- Assemble the salad by first placing the rocket on the platter, then toss together butternut and beetroot on top.
- Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with toasted cashews just before serving.
Ingredient for the dressing
- 25ml whole mustard seeds
- 15ml honey
- 62,5ml balsamic vinegar
- 125ml olive oil
- Heat mustard seeds in a pan until they start to pop.
Turn off the stove and add the balsamic vinegar, honey and olive oil. Stir, taste and check for sweetness – it may need a little more honey.
Allow to cool and drizzle over the salad just before serving.
Nutty Seeded Whole-Wheat Rusks
Makes 48 rusks
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 320ml low fat maas or buttermilk
- 30ml olive oil
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 2 small apples, grated
- 125ml pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 125ml almonds, roughly chopped
- 250ml cake flour
- I cup (250 ml) oat bran
- 250ml whole-wheat flour or nutty wheat flour
- 30ml baking powder
- 150ml sugar
- 5ml cinnamon
For the topping
- 5ml each of sesame seeds, poppy seeds and linseeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, maas or buttermilk, oil and vanilla together.
- Add the grated apple and chopped nuts to the egg mixture.
- Mix the dry ingredients – flour, bran, whole-wheat flour nutty wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar – into the wet ingredients, making sure they combine well.
- Spoon the mixture into two lightly greased 10 x 20cm loaf tins.
- Sprinkle mixed seeds on top.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Take the loaves out of the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
- Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Cut the loaf into 24 rusks (three rows of eight) using a bread knife.
- Place the rusks on a baking tray in the oven at 100°C for two to three hours, until they have dried out.
- Store in an airtight container once cool.
About the book
These recipes are taken from Heavenly & Healthy Foods – Brookdale’s 21 Days to a Healthy Lifestyle, published by Brookdale Health Hydro. This book is filled with over 100 tasty and nutritious recipes, beautiful photos, tips, suggestions and a three-week meal plan for a healthy lifestyle. You can buy it online at brookdale.co.za
Click here for more recipes for warming winter meals.