Give the traditional bread-and-butter pudding an Easter twist by making it a hot cross bun pudding. Delicious with hot or cold custard.
Got a leftover hot cross bun or six? Then use your leftover buns to make this really special Easter pudding that the whole family will enjoy.
- 6 hot cross buns
- 50g butter
- 4 tbsp. apricot jam
- 1 cup chopped apricots
- sultanas and raisins (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 50g sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste
- 300ml milk
- 300ml reduced-fat cream
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar to sprinkle over just before going into the oven
1. Grease a dish or a few individual ramekins.
2. Cut the hot cross buns in half, butter and spread with apricot jam. Place whole or quartered buns into your dish or ramekins.
3. Sprinkle with apricots and the raisins and sultanas if you want to use them.
4. Whisk the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla paste, cinnamon and sugar. Pour this mixture over the buns and allow to soak.
5. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the top and place in oven at 180°C for about 30 minutes, until the dish is brown on top.
Find some more Easter recipes here