If cooking is love made visible, then pancakes are food for the heart. Take this opportunity to whip up delicious red velvet pancakes that are not only delicious, but healthy too.
Love red velvet sweet treats? Try the red velvet chocolate chip cookies recipe in our chocolate creations article
Also try these sweet potato, chia and pecan pancakes
Red Velvet Beetroot Pancakes
Set the tone with these scrumptious pink pancakes, a delicious, healthy and gluten-free delight, made with no artificial colourings, just plant power and love! Enjoy them savoury or sweet, as your heart desires. Speaking about the heart, they are packed with the heart-boosting benefits of beetroot and the canola omega-3s. Fall in love with food again, starting here.
- B-well Canola Baking Spray
- 2 small beets
- 1 ½ cups plain flour (gluten free or regular)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs or 2 Tbsp ”chia egg”
- 2–3 Tbsp honey/maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk of choice
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Peel two small beets and chop each one into 4 or 6 pieces. Cook/steam the chopped beetroot till it is tender.
- Add the flour and baking powder to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl or jug mix together the eggs, honey and vanilla extract.
- Once the beetroot is cooked through, transfer them to a blender. Add the milk and blend until the beets are completely blended with the milk and you have a puree consistency. Add this puree to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Finally, add this mixture to the flour and baking powder. Mix with a hand whisk until you have a classic pancake batter consistency.
- Spray your pan with B-well Canola Baking Spray. Add some of the batter (the amount will depend on how thick or thin you want your pancakes to be) and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side for thick pancakes or 1-2 minutes each side for crêpes.
Some lovely topping ideas
- Salmon, cream cheese, chives, chopped coriander, avocado and lemon zest.
- Spiced beef, yoghurt, coriander, sun-dried tomatoes and avocado.
- Sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber and B-well Thick & Creamy Mayonnaise.
- Cream cheese, plain yogurt, milk, vanilla extract and honey.
- add berries, with mint
- add nuts
- fig, cheese and walnuts
- Chocolate sauce and ice cream, with berries, nuts and coconut sprinkles.
Get the children into the kitchen with these great recipes from the B-Well Cooking for Kids Cookbook
Why not add a small gift to the breakfast tray? Read here for gifts from the heart.