Double the love, double joy and double the essentials: twin and multiple birth must-haves.
Preparing for twins or triples comes with unique challenges and considerations. To navigate this journey successfully, you must be equipped with the right multiple birth essentials.
Ronald Govender Dis-Chem Baby City FMCG executive, says parenting multiples can be physically and emotionally demanding. He recommends having a checklist for key necessities and investing in a support system of family, friends, help and professionals.
Read our article on gadgets and essentials that make life with newborns easier.
Key tips for a smooth parenting journey
Govender offers the following tips to make parenting twins or multiples easier.
Baby clothes and key essentials
When you’re expecting multiples, you’ll need double or triple the baby wear. Use this basic list to help when planning your purchases.
- Double up on diapers and nappy wipes. Stock up on newborn and the next size up. Look out for specials and if family and friends are hosting a nappy braai and/or baby shower, diapers are a great suggestion for a practical basic baby gift.
- Ensure you have multiple vests, rompers/baby grows, sleepsuits, baby receivers and swaddling blankets to keep the babies snug and warm. Bibs are very helpful to ensure the babies do not wet their clothes during feeds.
- For breast feeding, a twin nursing pillow can be a lifesaver. A breast pump and multiple bottles can assist in having backup supply of breastmilk to make nighttime feedings more convenient.
Prams, car seats and baby cots
- Invest in specially designed twin or multiple strollers. These strollers often have side-by-side or tandem seating options and can accommodate two or more car seats, making outings much more manageable.
- Ensure you have multiple car seats that are suitable for your babies’ size and weight. Look for models that are easy to install and compatible with your stroller.
- Twins often have different sleep schedules. Opt for a cot/crib that can accommodate two babies or have separate cribs in the same room as they grow bigger.
- You will also need other baby gear like highchairs, bouncers, and playpens that can accommodate two or more infants at once. Look for space-saving designs that still offer comfort and safety.
Organisational tools are essential when preparing for the arrival of twins or multiple births. They help you stay on top of your babies’ needs and make daily routines more manageable. Here are some organisational tools to consider:
- Look for organisers designed specifically for parents of twins or multiples. These often have double compartments or labels to keep items separate for each baby. Organisers that attach to the back of car seats or strollers are hugely helpful, providing extra storage space for on-the-go essentials like diapers, wipes, and bottles.
- Label maker or laundry markers can help you mark bottles, clothing and storage bins with each baby’s name, making it easy to identify their belongings. Labelling bottles can also assist to keep track of the quantity of breastmilk each baby is taking in.
- Baby monitors help you keep an eye on all the babies, whether they are in separate rooms or sharing a nursery.
Other important considerations
Multiple pregnancies often require more medical attention. Regular check-ups and consultations with clinic nurses or doctors are essential to monitor the health of both the mother and the babies.
Enlist the help of family and friends for household chores and childcare. Connect with other parents of multiples through support groups or online communities and consider hiring a nanny to provide additional support.
Expecting twins or triplets can be overwhelming, so prioritise your emotional wellbeing by ensuring you make an appointment with a mental health professional if you’re feeling anxious or stressed. Always make time for self-care, including relaxation, exercise and hobbies.
Most of all, enjoy the multiples. It may sometimes be double the trouble, but more often it is double or triple the joy.